Thursday, August 23, 2007

Rain....and a bug!


The pool at AISL


So I finally got to see the rain. Yes....I realize I am from Seattle but Seattle rain/mist has nothing on the monsoon action in Nigeria. I even paused class to stop and stare at the wall of water pounding the school.

Ok, side note. I am in my classroom right now, writing my blog and minding my own business when something tickles my foot. This happens alot and when my bug paranoia forces me to check, there is never anything there. Yeah, not this time. A lovely 3-inch cockroach just waddled across my naked foot. Oh, help me now! I had to scoop it up and put it outside and it barely fit into the cup I used to carry it. Such is my life in Lagos.

But anyway, the rain causes massive traffic jams because the dirt roads begin to resemble the eight-lake area. Potholes two inches to three feet deep are all that the road consists of. Imagine hundreds of cars; no laws and no road signs create the biggest traffic stop EVER! Its scary because the small little motorcycles (they are only 110 cc, Dad) are weaving in and out of traffic while everyone else is slowly eeking forward. To give some perspective...the most common situation is a two-lane dirt road with three rows of cars going one way. Everyone is stopped and trying to curve one way or another to avoid the potholes. The cars are so close to each other that you can reach out your window and touch the car next to you without your watch leaving the car. The drivers here are amazingly accurate and amazingly crazy.

I am still freaking out about the bug and need to go teach class now. Ugh.....work.

4 comments:

Mom & Dad said...

How hot is it? Bugs are gross! More pictures! xxxooxx

cherlyn and family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cherlyn and family said...

Hey Julia-
That must of be really gross to that bug walk across your foot.

By the way thanks for the 4 words
e-mail that you sent to me other day.

Anonymous said...

ugh is right, Julia!! Cami sent me your blogsite...I need to thank her! ugh bug bugs...oooo.. :) Take care..I will continue to check. Am proud of you m'dear! Hugs, Eileen (Cami's mom)