Sunday, August 26, 2007

So this weekend I had a much-needed escape from the compound. I spent the entire weekend chilling with Josie and Roy. Who are they, you might ask? Well, they are the fabulous expats that I have adopted as my own.

Expats, in case you are unfamiliar with the term, are expatriates; people who live in a foreign country for work purposes and tend to be very mobile. Yes, dear friends, I am an expat. Anyway, the term expat here generally refers to awebos, or "skinless people". We prefer pigmentally challenged.

The view from Josie and Roy's flat. Yes, they are spoiled.



This weekend was filled with chick flick nights, cookies, cartoon watching, lemonade, hot cocoa, donuts, Lekki Market shopping, video games and, of course, church.






It was fabulous, not only to be in a bug free environment....


Notice my little friend who appeared in my entryway on Friday.....but it also was a chance to feel normal and non-minority-ish.

I am more affirmative in my belief of multicultural education more than ever. To feel alone, misunderstood or lesser in any way is horrible. I know that many in the States feel that Hispanic speakers need to adapt to "American" life, but after a brief two weeks, I am fully sympathetic to their needs.

3 comments:

cherlyn and family said...

Hey Julia-
What a great view of your friends
place. Gross about the bug picture.
Hope you are doing well.

Mom & Dad said...

Icky bugs! Pictures are great! What an eye-opener with a different culture and way of life. Do the Nigerians expect you to adapt to Nigeria or are they more tolerant than we are?

Julia said...

Nah, you gotta adapt....and fast!