Tuesday, September 18, 2007

A full month in Africa!

After a full month in Africa, my life has begun to settle down. I am in my own flat, and though I dont yet have a steward, I keep getting asked out to do things. So my food situation is just fine. Classes are all fabulous!



I have yet to find a project that these kids wont do and be excited about. Sixth grade is making cartoon strips, 7-8 grade are creating monsters and I am planning a bead making class for Nigerian Culture Day. My art club is meeting twice a week to plan out and decorate my room to look like an Ibo village.

The other day, as I was walking out of the flat, I noticed a leaf stuck in a spider web on the wall. I was about to pass when I paused. I knew that the spider webs here are not strong enough to hold a leaf the size of this one. I moved closer and still just stared at it.



Unfortunately, my vision isnt the greatest and it took me a couple more feet closer and a few minutes of staring to realize I was looking at a praying mantis. I whipped out my camera and took a few shots. When the flash went off, the little guy turned and looked at me; then blinked. So much attitude in such a little gesture.

Another teacher and I are planning on creating our own children's books. I am excited, because while I can draw anything....I cant come up with stories. Pagia, however, has the opposite problem. We are hoping to have at least two done by Christmas, so that they can be printed and distributed to students for a present. I am not sure how to manage that, unless its printed via email to the US and I pick it up when I get home.

I had a small accident yesterday morning when I dropped my macbook onto my foot. It still stings something awful and is very pretty colors. Its so massive that I could even make kids draw it to learn their color wheel.

6 comments:

Rachel said...

I just updated myself on your last few posts. I'm glad things are on the up and up! That octopus monster is so sweet!

Mom & Dad said...

The pictures are great! I can't wait to see the books. Sounds like a great idea!

Ivy said...

Wow a whole month?! Good job Julia, I am proud of you, in this month you have faced several obstacles...you are amazing!

Anonymous said...

I know you've been somewhat updated on the Sylvan drama, but... the drama continues!! So glad you sound like you like everything so far.. except for the bugs.. don't think I could handle that!

Ryan says, "hallo"

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei seu blog pelo google está bem interessante gostei desse post. Gostaria de falar sobre o CresceNet. O CresceNet é um provedor de internet discada que remunera seus usuários pelo tempo conectado. Exatamente isso que você leu, estão pagando para você conectar. O provedor paga 20 centavos por hora de conexão discada com ligação local para mais de 2100 cidades do Brasil. O CresceNet tem um acelerador de conexão, que deixa sua conexão até 10 vezes mais rápida. Quem utiliza banda larga pode lucrar também, basta se cadastrar no CresceNet e quando for dormir conectar por discada, é possível pagar a ADSL só com o dinheiro da discada. Nos horários de minuto único o gasto com telefone é mínimo e a remuneração do CresceNet generosa. Se você quiser linkar o Cresce.Net(www.provedorcrescenet.com) no seu blog eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. (If he will be possible add the CresceNet(www.provedorcrescenet.com) in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei seu blog pelo google está bem interessante gostei desse post. Gostaria de falar sobre o CresceNet. O CresceNet é um provedor de internet discada que remunera seus usuários pelo tempo conectado. Exatamente isso que você leu, estão pagando para você conectar. O provedor paga 20 centavos por hora de conexão discada com ligação local para mais de 2100 cidades do Brasil. O CresceNet tem um acelerador de conexão, que deixa sua conexão até 10 vezes mais rápida. Quem utiliza banda larga pode lucrar também, basta se cadastrar no CresceNet e quando for dormir conectar por discada, é possível pagar a ADSL só com o dinheiro da discada. Nos horários de minuto único o gasto com telefone é mínimo e a remuneração do CresceNet generosa. Se você quiser linkar o Cresce.Net(www.provedorcrescenet.com) no seu blog eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. (If he will be possible add the CresceNet(www.provedorcrescenet.com) in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).