Thursday, May 22, 2008

Advanced Student Art Gallery






Last night was the second and final Advanced Art Gallery Show for the year!! I am so proud of my kids and we had a wonderful representation of students, high school teachers and parents. The show had a total of 21 participating students, some of which I have included here. I have to give a huge thanks to Shelly (not pictured here) who took all the pictures for me.









The concept of the show was to give each student a gallery space for them to create an environment. It normally had a theme and had to include all of the artworks completed in this last term. As many of you know, the last term was also the independent study or clay projects. So for the past five days my students have been scrambling to construct, create, design and set up a gallery show worth half of their grade. It finally all came together for an hour opening with all of their parents in attendance.
















This is Arshiya. She is one of my Indians and is hysterical when you get her talking. She is also the one who also has me convinced that an arranged marriage is the way to go. Seems much easier and healthier than a love match. Her basic concept was a light, natural idea based on pastel colors, rose petals and candles. I think its especially nice with the painting she had done of her mother in the center.
















Or is an ELL student who often switches between Hebrew and English too fast for me to comprehend. Luckily I have never had an Israeli in class by themselves and so can always get an impromptu translation. Sometimes, I wish I hadnt.
Or is a fantastic painter and chose to do independent studies instead of clay. The results were interesting and ended up having a lot to do with...herself....and clothes. These trends continue in other aspects of her life as well.

















Now Rich (a Texan) is not known for his ability in art. But what he lacks in skill he more than makes up with in sarcasm. He isnt the first student to tell me that I should rule the world as an evil dictator....but he is the one who means it as a compliment.
His show was placed into two 'art boxes' and had a general discombobulated feel. This technique is actually hard to do in order to make the gallery work, instead of just looking scrapped together. I think he did fairly well.
















Allyn is quite possibly one of the most hyper and flaky students I have ever had. I used to think there was just something she ate in the morning that affected her poorly. Then I got her younger brother in another class. Apparently its a family trait. Allyn felt awful insecure about her art show so I offered to jump in the picture with her to make her feel less like a goober. Nothing like comparing yourself to your dorky teacher to make you feel better.
















Sapir would shoot me if she knew I had this picture. She flatly refused (and with harsh sounding Hebrew words) to pose for a picture until I physically turned her to the camera. She then gave the biggest smile I have ever seen on her pessimistic little face. She is a great artist but never gives a nice word to anything....ever. Having said that, she is really fun and easy to mess with. Behind her is her prize ceramic dragon "Rockie." She still doesnt understand why I whisper, "and Bullwinkle" every time she mentions his name. I feel old.

















Now you wouldnt know it, but Mubarak doesnt truly hate his life. Not really. He is oober quiet in class, especially for a Nigerian, but has a wicked sense of humor when he does speak up. He is the one who confessed to marrying a goat. I never laughed so hard in my life. I will be sure to tell the details of that story when I get home but suffice it to say that their relationship is all the stronger for their differences.
















Annie in the middle, is a great student. She is freakishly tall and thin, a fact which comes in handy for reaching tall, awkward spaces and has a pretty laid back sense of humor. I crammed myself into one side and Motune took up the other. She doenst seem as tall in the photo due to the fact that she is slouching and the girl taking the picture is short. We arent sure why, Motune is there (since she isnt in art) other than she is a hoot and a half and wanted to be in the picture.
















Kenny is obnoxious, to begin with. He is also one of most talented graphic artists I have seen his age. He does beautiful designs and has created his own symbol language. This picture was orchestrated when I made fun of Kenny for having a huge empty space in his gallery. He called it his 'artist' space and said he would sit in this position for the entire show. I only made him do it for ten minutes. But seriously? He didnt move a muscle. Pretty impressive control.





Finally, when it was all done, I posed for a quick picture. These hooligans all jumped in and it became a late night photo op with Ms G.

Carolina, Arshiya, Sapir, Me, Naomi and Josh. Shane and Rich in the back.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice snapshot of your students! It looks like it went well!

Love, Mom

Kritta22 said...

Good work! Your students look so interesting...I can't wait for the goat story!

sreeve said...

Hey, the kids pulled it off! The photos are great. And yes, I think you should rule the world as an evil dictator. Who had an arranged marriage.

Anonymous said...

You crack me up, Julia. Your descriptions of the 'children' was hilarious. I want to meet the goat kid!
~Catherine

cherlyn and family said...

Like the photos and looking forward to see you when you get home.

Anonymous said...

hi im going to lagos next year and im hoping to attend the new aisl in Lekki. can u tell me more about it? will the school look like any american school? please email me back at qymekkam@yahoo.com

PRC said...

https://www.erianggorokasih.com/2019/05/mengenal-pinjaman-online.html