Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Second Period Fun

I had the funniest thing happen during second period today. First, I must describe second period. There are about ten kids, all ninth and tenth graders. They are currently working on abstract expressionist paintings. They each grab their painting and pallets and set up on their own little section of table around the room. Because of the nature of abstract expressionism, much of the painting is done by dribbling and even splattering paint. Some of it is done like finger painting. All of it is messy and everyone wears aprons. But I will get to that in a minute.

The kids in the class are from all different cultures and nations. We have equal guys and girls and a variety of social skills.

One of the boys, we will call him Krishana, has a very difficult time in social situations. He is from a strict culture and has had few interactions with students his own age. I could blame it on a variety of things but it mostly boils down to the fact that he is a teenage boy. He is the kind of kid who tries to one-up the next kid, jump into the punchline of every joke and add his input to all conversations to which he does not belong. However, the past two weeks have shown a gradual thaw in the attitudes toward Krishana.

Tommy, on the other hand, is a good-looking African male who is popular and talented.

So this morning, everyone in the class was busy working. Krishana and Tommy were working next to each other and good natured trash talking started. Tommy was painting with his fingers and both boys were critiquing each other's work. I began to raz Tommy, because he seemed to be more focused on threatening Krishana with his paint covered fingers than actually working.

As I was about to start reprimanding Tommy for a second time, he turns to Krishana and pokes him in his stomach. The whole room stopped. Everyone turned and watched as Krishana looked down to his pristine white apron with one solitary red dot in the middle.

Then, Krishana did something I did not expect. I turned to yell at Tommy when Krishana grabs his stomach, moans and slowly collapses to the floor, raising on hand grasping for life.

The entire class burst out laughing. "Tommy killed him!" I was laughing so hard I couldn't yell at Tommy. I love it when these kids evolve right in front of me.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Hehehe! I love this story. That's so cool. It's awesome to see people grow and imrpove right before your eyes! I miss you. I can see you cracking up to this! :)

Queen of the Giggle Loop said...

That's awesome!!!! I love when kids do the unexpected!

cherlyn and family said...

That is great. I too enjoy when kids do something funny.

Rachel said...

We're in need of an update!!