Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Marine's Birthday Ball




I was fortunate enough to attend the annual Lagos Marine's Birthday Ball last Saturday night. After getting all hookered up, two co-workers and I took a drive down four blocks to the Civic Center and entered that amazingly out-of-place building. The building itself is a rectangle with a huge spiked curve on the top which is always lighted. Its a very different look from the traditional square buildings of the rest of Victoria Island.

Regardless, we climbed out of the car and proceeded to the massive security check which included ID checks at the door, ID checks inside the door, metal detectors, metal wand detectors after that and a thorough search through my purse. Yes, I had a purse. Where else was I to keep the cell phone that I am continually reprimanded for not carrying on my person? Anyway, the ball was interesting. I had never before been to a non-church sponsored adult dance. It was particularly entertaining because of its open bar. More than one teacher was plastered that night.

The food was good, the pomp and circumstance was blissfully short and the dancing was continuously entertaining. Ever seen a 70 year old man freak dance a 25 year old woman? Ever seen your co-workers so drunk that their only dance move is the effort it takes to try and stand in one location? Yes, I was privy to these experiences and more. All in all, it was a fun evening and I was able to meet a ton of new people. Many consulate workers from the US were there as well as foreign diplomats. My table held all of the Brittish High Commission or some such thing. While those new friends are fun, its difficult to understand the accent after the fifth bottle of wine.

I did have some LDS friends there to make the evening fun. This is Jeff and I watching the teachers try to function on copious amounts of alcohol. The video is an embarrassing moment that I didnt realize was being video taped.

5 comments:

marquita chiquita said...

I am glad that you had some fun! Also, you look very beautiful!

cherlyn and family said...

Go Juila, Look Forwared to seeing you in December.

Mom & Dad said...

verry niiice!!! lookin' good! It looks like fun!

Logan said...

wow. julia i had no idea you danced that well....this changes everything..

Queen of the Giggle Loop said...

Shake it Julia, shake it like a Polaroid picture! We should totally get a group together for the New Years Eve Dance, since you’ll be in town and you can definitely bust a move!